Whenever I have the time, I like making things from scratch. I think that’s a pretty high standard. Lucky for me, today was such a day! Well, sort of.
We had a carton of tomato soup that needed to be consumed because it was close to expiring and we wanted grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it. There was store bought bread with all the preservatives and yucky stuff that keeps it intact for weeks sitting in the frig. We did not want to have that. Homemade bread is MUCH better!
The best part about homemade bread is that you can cut the slices to any thickness you like!
Our sandwich was completed with 2 slices of Gouda.
White Sandwich Bread
2 ¼ teaspoon yeast
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons honey
1 ½ cup warm water
2 ½ cup flour bread flour*
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cup flour (or wheat flour)
2 tablespoon and 2 teaspoon honey (optional)
Some butter (for the crust when the bread is done baking)
*If you don’t want to buy bread flour, you can get wheat gluten separately. To make bread flour, substitute 1 tablespoon of flour with wheat gluten.
- Mix first 4 ingredients together. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Add the next 4 ingredients. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put dough into an oiled/buttered bread pan. Let rise for about 1 hour or until the dough has risen just above the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven of 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take bread out of the pan and let cool on rack. For a soft crust, cover top with butter.