Eggs Benedict on potato cakes is my favorite weekend breakfast dish. We’ve been eating them for a few years now at a local brunch place.
I decided to recreate this meal at home today. It’s raining, so there’s no jogging . Yesterday, I went for an 8.5 mile jog (the farthest I’ve gone in 10 years), so it was a good time to make a fancy breakfast. This recipe has a bunch of steps and does take longer than my usual 15 minutes. I was so eager to eat my breakfast that I forgot the avocado on top! If you’re willing to put in a little more effort, it’s worth the time.
Eggs Benedict with Potato Cakes
4 poached eggs
4 slices of tomato
1/3 bunch cooked spinach
hollandaise sauce *instructions below
4 potato cakes *instructions below
- Make poached eggs:
- bring a pot of water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar to boil.
- Crack egg into bowl, then drop the egg into the water.
- Take out after 3 minutes with a slotted spoon and dry on towel.
- While the egg is drying, layer plate with potato cake, tomato and spinach.
- Add poached eggs, hollandaise sauce, and top with avocado slices.
It might look a little sloppy like my first attempt below (where I even burned the potato cakes), but who cares?!
2 large potatoes, shredded
¼ diced yellow onion (optional)
2 egg whites (optional, I uses this because it was leftover from the hollandaise sauce)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, then grate them. Let set for 10 minutes. Then rinse to get all the starch and brownness out. Put them on a towel and pat dry.
- Throw the potatoes into the bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a large skillet and put large spoonfuls of the mix on the pan (about the size of an English muffin). I made 6 cakes with mine. Brown on one side, then flip to brown other side. It takes about 10-15 minutes to fully cook the potatoes.
2 egg yolks
½ tablespoon lemon
¼ cup butter, melted
Salt to tastes
- Put egg yolks and lemon into blender and mix for about 2 minutes
- Microwave butter until it is fully melted and hot. Make sure the butter is hot so it can cook the egg yolks.
- Continue blending eggs yolks and slowly add melted butter. Add salt.