Since visiting Italy, I have had the desire to make pistachio everything! There are so many good dessert recipes out there, so I thought I would start with the easy stuff first.
Pistachio gelato is simple to make, but there are a few more steps to it than the regular ice cream recipe. It’s a custard-y ice cream with egg yolks, so it requires cooking the ingredients before using the ice cream maker. I cooked the mixture last night and churned the batch this morning.
This was a wonderful reward to have before my jog today. Usually, I wait until after, but who can resist freshly made ice cream?!
Pistachio Gelato Recipe
¾ cup whole or ground pistachios
½ cup maple syrup
½ tsp almond extract
2 cups whole milk
5 large egg yolks
¼ cup cream (optional)
- If pistachios are whole, process them in a grinder or food processor until fine.
- Bring to boil milk and ¼ cup maple syrup. Turn off immediately.
- Whisk egg yolks with almond extract and ¼ cup maple syrup
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, then put it back into pot.
- On low heat, cook the mixture for 8 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn’t boil.
- Then it rest until it reaches almost room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker for 10 to 20 minutes (mine only took 10!). If the gelato is thick, add more cream. I only had 2% milk, so I thought it needed some cream.